Sunday, May 9, 2010

Genocide


I was interested in the occurence of genocide in general so I decided to research how common this form of violence is. I was shocked by what I found.
I googled 'current genocides around the world'. Many of the first websites were actually about Darfur. However, the very first site was called Genocide Watch. It seemed promising so I clicked on the link to discover more. It had a list of current genocides or situations that looked like they could turn into genocide. The first case was Sudan, where Darfur is located. A couple down from that was Chad, a region bordering Darfur. I skimmed the rest of the list and was appalled to find that most of the other areas were also African regions. Some of these included Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, and Kenya. Many others were in the Middle East including both Afganistan and Iraq. I was very surprised to learn that so many cases of this violence or the potential for it are going unoticed by other areas. There were dozens of countries on the list. Why is this so common?

No comments:

Post a Comment